Fundamentals of Wine: Greece!
An educational wine & food experience
Presented by Paul Kelly Wheeler, Certified in Greek Wines
Greece has been home to winemaking for more than 6,000 years and grapes are grown on just about every inch of its beautiful landscape. But just how much do you know about Greek wines like Assyrtiko and Retsina?
With more than 300 indigenous grape varieties, the vast diversity of styles and flavors produced, from the wind-swept mountains to the deep blue seas, is astonishing. Join us as we explore the pantheon of Greek wines, from well-structured reds exhibiting terroir-driven character to whites boasting crisp, aromatic delicacy and exotic, lush dessert wines.
We’ll taste 6 to 8 versatile and distinctive wines, all of which are readily available in our market, and pair these delicious wines with tastes of traditional regional cuisine, like lamb meatballs, grilled halloumi with honey and grilled chicken with lemon (lemonati kota sta karvouna), so you can experience, first-hand, why Greek wines are also an excellent choice for your table
Sit back and relax as your sommelier instructor sets the stage for an unforgettable, educational wine and cuisine experience. Our wine classes provide a unique context for the enjoyment of wine appropriate for every level of interest and expertise. Taste wine as it was meant to be enjoyed, paired to perfection with regional recipes.
Throughout the evening, you will learn about the history, culture and language of wine through visual presentations, commentary and anecdotes from our personal experiences. And best of all, you’ll leave us with greater confidence, passion and understanding of the grapes so you can ultimately experience the pleasure of wine.
Class will include:
- A primer on Greek pronunciation, ie how do you say "Agiorgitiko"
- An overview of the regions of Greece, with emphasis on the top wine regions by Greek wine expert, Kelly Wheeler, who just returned from vacationing in Greece! (pictured here at Sigalas Winery with Oia, Santorini, with Chloe Sigalas)
- History of Greek production through current day
- Visual presentation and pictures of regions
- Six (6) to Eight (8) wines for tasting
- Additional Cuisine selections to tie into the regions
- All AWS courses include Chef's choice of appetizers