Wine & Spirit Education Trust: Level I, Award in Wines
Presented by WSET Certified Educators
*Please note strict registration deadlines below*
Upcoming Course Date(s):
Sunday, February 25, 2024 * Registration deadline February 23
This globally-recognized qualification provides a basic introduction to the fundamental basics of grapes, main styles of wines, wine growing regions, wine production, service of wine and food pairing techniques.
This hands-on course is ideal for the novice wine lover seeking to enrich their personal knowledge and practical for those working in the hospitality, retail or restaurant industry, particularly front-line staff and servers seeking formal wine education.
This is a one-day course culminating in a multiple choice examination consisting of 30 questions and a food and wine matching exercise.
Specifications and Terms:
Level 1 Qualifications & Specifications: Click to view
WSET Courses Terms & Conditions: Click to view
Earn A Credential In Wine:
Candidates who successfully complete the certification course and pass the examination will have gained:
- WSET Level 1 Award in Wines certificate
- WSET lapel pin
- Knowledge on wine basics and wine styles
- Tutored blind tasting experience using the WSET methodology
- Ability to move onto the Level II: Wines & Spirits Qualification
Is this Program Right for YOU:
- Understand the main types and styles of wine available
- Identify the main types and styles of wines available
- Identify the factors that determine the main styles of wine
- State the main characteristics of the principal grape varieties
- Describe the styles and characteristics of wines made from the principal grape varieties
- Know how to store wine
- Know how to serve wine to customers or guests:
- State the appropriate service temperatures for the main styles of wines
- State the correct procedures for opening and serving still and sparkling wines.
- Identify common faults found in wines
- Understand the basic principles of food and wine matching:
- State the basic food and wine matching principles.
- Match wines by style to the main food components
- Understand the issues relating to the safe consumption of wine:
- State the legal issues relating to the consumption of wine.
- State the social, health and safety issues relating to the consumption of wine
- your WSET book
- a guided wine tasting session
- all hand-outs
- written exam
- certificate/pin upon successful completion of the course